Sunday, August 22, 2010

Aebleskiver


I can't even think of the word "pancake" with out thinking of my childhood memory of my mom making the little silver dollar pancakes. I think that was the only time she used flour in the house, and that wasn't often. Oh, what fun it was to have little pancakes on the plate that one could stack and rearrange to make a smiley face. We could eat at least 6 or 7 of them. Once, my brother and I went to my aunt's house and she made pancakes. She asked us how many we wanted and she was shocked to hear 6 or 7. She made her pancakes as large as the frying pan and surely thought we were crazy for wanting so many. I still remember the laughter when we told her that our mom made the silver dollar pancakes.

I'm such an adventerous cook. I like trying new recipes, studying recipes, and especially eating them. I will admit though, that there are many, many foods that I probably would not try (i.e. buggy things, worms, snake, and fried bats, you get my drift). I'd probably have a heart attack and it'd be my last meal. Ah... my last meal. What would I choose? I'll have to think about that one. So now that I have completely changed my train of thought, let me bounce back to the "trying new recipes" part of this post.

If there is a kitchen gadget, I want it. If there is a different spice, I want it! Yes, it's that simple. I had some points with my credit card where I can "shop" on line. The first place I search is the kitchen area. Yes, I found something I really don't need, but am glad they had. It's an Aebleskiver pan for Danish pancakes. I already have a crepe pan for French "pancakes", and a pan for Dutch "pancakes", so now to add to my collection. It's a pan with round circles in them. The pancakes are pancake balls that one can make savory or sweet. I chose sweet. They can be filled with jam, fruit, nuts, spices, and whatever your imagination desires.

As a rule, I'm not a big pancake eater as they seem to sit really heavy on my stomach. Perhaps it's that they just aren't "fluffy" and airy enough for me. I much prefer crepes or french toast. I found a recipe for pancakes that had baking powder in it and I knew they would be light and fluffy. I decided to add some flax seed to part of the batter just because they are supposed to be healthy for us. You let the pancakes cook partway then I used a wooden skewer to gently pick up the edge and turn them. What fun! A pancake ball. I wish I would have had this pan when my sons were younger. They would have enjoyed this as a "breakfast" dinner with tons of syrup and bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar