Saturday, June 13, 2009

Lamb Burger




My local grocery store usually does not have ground lamb. Of course, I could ask for it and have it in a day or so, but I was just in the mood for lamb. When I'm in the mood for some specific item like ground lamb, mussels, crab or any specialty cheese, I shop at Whole Foods. They have always had the ingredients that I need for any meal. Their selection of homemade sausages; including lamb sausage, was very tempting, but I had my mind set on a lamb burger. Today, I was in the mood for Greek food. Off to whole foods I go..... (I always get a small cart while I'm there or else, I'd purchase half of the store!) I really enjoy the freshness of their meats, cheeses, breads, and produce.




Lamb Burgers


1.15 pounds lamb (you can use a pound, but this was the weight of my pack)
zest of one lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 tsp Greek oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup Italian parsley leaves, coarsely chopped

I gently mix the ingredients and let it sit for about 30 minutes before forming patties. Using 1/2 cup measure, I made 5 patties and grilled over charcoal for about 7 minutes per side. Then let them rest.

I served them with fresh steamed green beans served with butter and lemon pepper, sliced tomato half grilled on the grill, tzatziki sauce, crusty ciabatta Italian bread, cheese, and Greek olives. What a treat! It was delicious.

For the sauce I altered the previous recipe to make a small amount. We'll just call it "lamb burger sauce"

1 8 oz container Greek style yogurt (plain, non-fat)
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 small pickling cucumber, finely grated and moisture squeezed out in cheesecloth.
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar