Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Ice Cream

Ice cream is the perfect summer food! It's nice and cool on hot days. I remember as a child, the clang, clang, clang, of the ice cream truck. A fixture for many during the hot summer days. Even now, every Wednesday, the ice cream truck drives through my neighborhood. The unfamiliar tune (I know it had better sound quality when I was a child), the children next door running out with their money in hand, and the neighbor's dog who goes with the hope that he will get a treat too.

Many years ago, while going through a separation and divorce, I decided that I needed some kind of goal to work towards to get my mind off of things. It was suggested by a minister/counselor helping me through the divorce process, so I got to thinking. Something fun, that did not cost much, that would get my mind off of the grief I was suffering during the time. It had to be something that would take a while to accomplish, yet fun too. Since I enjoy eating and cooking, I thought something food related would be easy. What did I decide to do?

I decided that I would try every flavor of ice cream that Ben and Jerry's made! I knew it would take some time as I don't eat ice cream often in the winter. Oh, I tried so many flavors and combinations. Many of the flavors have now been retired and no longer available. I admit, that I did not like all of them, but had many favorites. There are still a few that I won't try just because I'm not a fan of banana or peanut butter. I think I lost count after about 40 flavors, yet I still look to their brand in the freezer section to see what new flavor is offered. Sometimes, I'll try it, sometimes not. I will say that my friends heard about my venture and while visiting family in Vermont, stopped at the ice cream store and purchased a Ben and Jerry's cookbook for me. I looked at it the other day and my mind is spinning as what to make!

Yes, I'll make homemade ice cream and even eat other brands, but it's the small steps that we can take to give us something fun, and a little silly to look forward to every week or day (depending on how many flavors I wanted to try)..

I was at the store today and picked up two flavors of Ben and Jerry's ice cream as well as my new summer flavor of Zesty Lemon Sorbet made by Haagen Daz.

Ice cream sandwiches have always been one of my favorite ice cream treats. I purchased store made cookies, softened a scoop of ice cream, put it between two cookies, and popped them into the freezer. I must say they were the best ice cream sandwiches ever! My first attempt was made with oatmeal cookies and vanilla ice cream. It was delicious. I'm trying to think of other combinations that would work too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar