Sunday, September 25, 2011

Fresh Herbs

I have always loved flowers. All kinds of flowers.  The first time I ever planted flowers was when my eldest son was selling them at school.  Of course, we had to plant them.  I was hooked!  I now plant bulbs, flowers, and herbs.  I do fine until I see a worm....then I have quit for several days!!  I have had success with many herbs; lemon thyme and rosemary, and failed terribly with others such as cilantro, dill, and basil.

For some unknown reason, this spring I had a bumper crop of basil growing on my deck.  The plant was huge. I guess I should have investigated how to dry and freeze the herb, but I didn't.  I did manage to use many of the precious herbs before the Georgia drought (and me forgetting to water them) took their toll on the delicious herbs.

The time I did get to use the herbs, were nothing but delicious.  Sometimes, it's the simple things in recipes (and life) that are meaningful and delicious moments.  A simple dinner of grilled chicken, haricots verts, and tomatoes with fresh basil and mozzarella cheese fit the bill.

A simple shallow bowl filled with fresh sliced tomatoes, sliced mozzarella cheese, and garden leaves of basil are wonderful.  Being Greek, I douse any kind of salad with a nice Kalamata Olive Oil, and a sprinkling of lemon juice and sea salt.  It is simplicity at it's best with a loaf of crusty Italian bread to soak up the dressing at the bottom of the bowl.  We did it as kids and continue to this day.  Not letting the delicious dressing go unforgotten.

1 comment:

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar