Saturday, June 9, 2012

Summer

Ah.... There is nothing like Summer time.  Staying up late and sleeping late in the morning. The staying up late is easy, but my dog has other ideas for me sleeping late in the morning.  I must admit, he will sleep late sometimes too.  My eating schedule is way off during the summer.  At school, when the children eat breakfast, I become hungry. Then there is snack time, lunch time, and snack time after school if I help with after school activities.  Oh, and let's not forget the birthday cakes (for monthly birthdays) and little candies and gifts brought to us by the students.  How can one refuse to eat candy when a little one has just presented you with a bag full of all of their favorites? Yes, candy is a breakfast food!!  Hopefully, I will get myself back on track weight wise during the summer. Just a few pounds that can be easily dropped with a slight change in eating habits.   I will admit that I do eat salad almost every day at school, but I eat more often during my work day.   It's now almost 4pm and I've not had a thing to eat today.  I'm not hungry, so I don't eat.  I'm sure I will eat a huge salad tonight for dinner.  I found some lasagna in the freezer that I made about a month ago, so just trying to clean out the freezer. My sons will enjoy that!  There is a frozen cheesecake and ice cream in there too which will also get my attention.

During summer break, there is nothing more enjoyable than going out for an occasional breakfast.  Oh to sit down and enjoy a breakfast at a leisurely pace is so much fun. Sometimes, I can get my eldest son to join me for breakfast.  Both of my sons have such busy schedules that if one wants to sleep late, by all means, he gets to sleep late.   So many places close to our home to enjoy. I'm so used to coffee or hot tea in a thermos at work.  Eating quickly before the children come to class in the morning, eating while getting ready for the day, is fine and good during the work week.. A piece of fruit or a cheese, ham, and butter sandwich suits me fine during work. My trusty thermos keeps my coffee or tea hot for hours, so that is great! Sure coffee tastes the same if it is in a paper cup, bone china cup, or a heavy mug, but I do enjoy it in a fine bone china cup though.  It just goes with the relaxation of the meal.  Paper cups, plates, etc... usually designates that one is in a hurry and can't sit and linger.  Even the coffee shops only have paper cups now.  We live in a fast paced world where people don't take time to sit and enjoy the simple things.  Oh to sit at an outdoor cafe in Paris, relaxing with a cup of coffee watching the hustle and bustle of the city.  That's my kind of day.  Since I'm not in Paris.  I will enjoy eating a delicious strawberry doughnut, drinking coffee out of a paper cup and relaxing outside my local doughnut shop.  No where to go...... a favorite book or local newspaper close at hand allows me to linger and enjoy my breakfast time.  Only better thing is to enjoy it with family and friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar