Saturday, January 21, 2023

Each Day is a Special Day

 


I have been gifted two sets of fine china in the past several years. For some reason or other,  people don't want it. When offered them, that little girl hidden in my heart was simply overjoyed! I now have 3 sets of fine china. This pattern is from Wedgewood and is called Satine Platinum. I had tea parties as a child, and have never stopped having tea parties.  I thoroughly enjoyed tea on my most recent vacation too!  I still have my little mini blue willow dishes I used when I was a little one.  They are "real" china, not plastic.  They proudly sit in the little china cabinet my grandfather made for me.  I also have a piece of blue willow that was my mom's when she was little.  It was either hers or her sisters, but I have a few pieces for which I am very grateful. 
I don't know why it brings me such joy.  I use Christmas china the entire month of December not just for one special meal.  It makes every day a special one.  When my parents passed, other family members were not interested in the china.  I use my mom's fine china in March as it has green flowers on it.  She loved the color green, had emerald green eyes, and was of Irish and Greek heritage... it just works!  

Do something every day to make each day special.  This morning, I used the fine china for my croissant and coffee.  It honestly tastes better than coffee in a paper cup and croissant on a paper plate.  I make it a special occasion to enjoy my meals.  Will I gladly eat Chinese food out of those box containers... heck yeah! I can do a picnic with wax paper wrapped sandwiches, etc... I do have a special picnic basket though... anyone remember those?  

My mom did teach me many things over the years.  One thing was to NOT WAIT FOR A SPECIAL OCCASION to use that china, wear that special piece of jewelry, etc...  I can't tell you the last time I went to a really special occasion that would warrant wearing a special piece of jewelry.  Life situations change.   Make every day special. Even when I write my travel journals, I wear a nice sweater. Sounds crazy,  but it is respect for me! I set out a pot of tea (puts me right in the "feel good mood" -hot tea does that for my soul).  It makes me feel great, so I honestly take my time,  write neatly and think about what I am writing.  The journal notes I wrote on my trip were written in a quick manner (because 10 seconds waiting for a train, last minute notes at a kiosk, etc...), not very neat, and were just a quick mention of things to remind me of the entire story they would produce when I really had the time to write.  It takes time for me to write... travel, fun, tired at end of day, just made time for quick notes.  I even made journals with my photos so they would be even more special.

A photo of me enjoying one of many pots of tea at Cosi Posi in Aix-en-Provence.  This is me... totally at peace, loving every minute of my travel adventure...and now planning even more.




 
All of that being said, I would also like to add that on some days there is nothing more cozy than that comfy sweatshirt, delivery pizza from the box, and that favorite Netflix show.  I'll save that for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar