Sunday, November 1, 2009

Jones Soda


Where do I begin? Being a native of Atlanta, I think that the only soft drink we had in the house was Coca-Cola. Coke, Coke, Coke and more Coke. We were such good eaters as children, that we could have coke with our dinner. I have never liked the taste of milk, never drank it when I finished my cereal, and can remember drinking very few glasses of it (...and that was at a friend's house who's mom had put it out with the dinner. I gulped it down and asked for a glass of water so that I could enjoy my meal). Anyway, I'm not sure when it started, but Jones Soda caught my eye in the store. Was it the humorous packaging, the funny names, or the outrageous flavor combinations?

I started purchasing the Jones Soda for a weekend treat for my sons when they were younger. Never knowing how something would taste or look. It always has the great carbonation though that tickles the taste buds. Flavors like Bubble Gum, Strawberry Lemonade, Popcorn (yes, popcorn), and many other combinations have adorned our refrigerator. My brothers have always had a terrific sense of humor and I have always enjoyed giving them funny gifts. My oldest brother, who was a coach, would receive funny neckties to wear at school. My other brother has been the recipient of Jones Soda for Christmas. His wife has been given a few cookbooks over the years as she enjoys cooking, so in a way he benefits too. First year, I gave him some Green Apple Jones Soda. The next year, I received the same soda wrapped in their Christmas wrapping paper. A tradition was soon started as the same soda went back and forth from house to house at Christmas. In 2005, Jones Soda came up with the brilliant "Holiday Pack" which has the following holiday flavors:

Turkey and Gravy
Wild Herb Stuffing
Brussels Sprout
Cranberry
and last but not least, pumpkin pie

I'm sure that the pumpkin pie and cranberry flavored drinks would actually be quite refreshing and delicious. I'd be curious about the other flavors though. This pack managed to find it's way to my brother's house one Christmas. The flavors can only mellow over the years for my great grandchildren to enjoy one day like the finest wines of the world (A bottle of Chateau Lafite 1787 sold for $160,000 at Christies in London). If many years down the road, you see Jones Soda being sold at Christies, you will probably see one of my sons in the audience. The tradition of Jones soda on many weekends and holidays will continue at our house. This Halloween it was Blood Orange Soda. It was actually good.

So next time you are out shopping, be on the lookout for Jones Soda. The children will think they are fun and the adults get the biggest kick out of the humor and flavor combinations. Let me know what flavor you try and what you think of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar