Sunday, November 15, 2009

Success out of failure



Spaghetti sauce is an easy thing to make. Well not always. I usually have everything for a delicious spaghetti sauce on hand:


2 pounds ground chuck (for a nice hearty sauce)
1 large vidallia onion, chopped fine
1 pound sliced button mushrooms
2 teaspoons oregano
1 bunch fresh parsley
1 large bay leaf
1 32 ounces tomato puree
6 diced Roma tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup black olives sliced (I like olives on pizza, so why not in spaghetti sauce?)
1/8 cup green olives sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup of dry, red wine

In a large frying pan, saute diced onions in olive oil until translucent. Add ground chuck and brown until tender. I usually then drain the meat to get rid of some of the fat. Put meat and onions in a large pot. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for at least 30 minutes. I like to vary the pasta shapes that I use. On this particular day, I used the long hollow Greek pasta that is traditionally used for a Greek dish called pastisio.

I've made hundreds of pots of spaghetti, beef Burgundy, stews, etc... that call for wine. I've never had a problem opening the wine until I decided to use a new bottle opener that I had purchased. Instead of retelling the story, I'm just going to share my fb header and the comments that followed. I have a terrific sense of humor and the more I tried to get the cork out of the bottle, the more I laughed. I deleted the names as they know who they are and I won't forget that they share my zany sense of humor.



Lisa Poulos Williams has a fancy schmancy cork screw! It's awesome.... Guess who did SOMETHING wrong and has a perfectly good cork STUCK in the middle of the long neck wine bottle! What to do? What to do? %$^&&% (...so my spaghetti sauce may NOT have wine in it...HECK NO! I'm determined to get it.! hahahaha). Final outcome later....

02 November at 18:58 · ·
LOL. Push it down into the bottle with a butter knife! Works for me when my corkscrew fails. Good luck!

Cork saga continues: Cork in bottle. While trying to pour it, cork lodged back in the neck and wine wouldn't pour. I shook the bottle, cork moved, and about half the bottle went into the sauce. **Bleth sauthe *hic** I've everth mathe...*** hic***

HA ha! That's really funny, Lisa!!

you make me laugh

cook it longer, reduce the alcohol. low heat


Reduce the alcohol"!! Are you kidding?? That was the best flippin' sauce I've ever made!hahaha

I am cracking up that Your Son tells you to do the reduction and you're protesting. Very funny.

oh life's trials and tribulations!!!

i laughed

How many Greeks does it take to open a bottle of wine??? hahaha!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar