Monday, December 7, 2009

The Varsity






Anyone who is a native of Atlanta, GA has been to the Varsity restaurant at least once in their lives. If not, WHY NOT? It's the world's largest drive in restaurant! Packed when there is a game at Georgia Tech, or any other events going on in the city. It's a fun place to visit just to watch the people. My favorite since childhood has been a chili steak with fries and a coke. With Atlanta being the home of Coca-Cola, I have always thought that the Varsity had the best cokes in town. Is it the crushed ice, the atmosphere of the place, or that coke just compliments a burger and fries?

The Varsity has it's own lingo from the welcome at the counter of "whatta ya have?" to ordering a "chili steak" (hamburger with chili) or a "P.C." (plain chocolate milk). They have a menu of lingo that is quite interesting and amusing. Why anyone would want a "P.C." when they have the best cokes in town is beyond me. We took our children there when they were young and sometimes I just have to have a Varsity meal. Luckily, there are several locations in the Atlanta area. There are several rooms for dining. Each room has a television on different stations. Watch a game, hear the news, etc..... Always a good way to start a conversation with the person sitting next to you. I don't think I've ever noticed if the "soaps" on the channels.

I know someone who used to live in Texas with family here in Atlanta. He would drive straight to the Varsity when he hit the city. If you are ever visiting the down town Atlanta area, you can ask practically anyone where the Varsity is located and you will get directions with a smile.

After all of this writing about the Varsity, I'll have to go soon. I just hope to go with someone who likes the onion rings as I have to have one or two with my meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar