Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year Traditions


Tomorrow will be a new year! There are so many traditions that I think are fun. In the south, we have some eating traditions. Black eyed peas are for good luck and any kind of greens (spinach, turnip, or collard) will bring money in the new year. I'm not really superstitious, but I will eat these "just in case". It's the time for resolutions, which I no longer make. Well, I can't keep them but for a few weeks or so. I hope that by next New Year's Eve I will be able to say that it was "my best year ever!".

I am going to a party tonight where everyone brings something to eat. I always mull over in my head over these events as I never know what to make. I was going to make homemade domathes (Greek stuffed grape leaves), but a lot of people are afraid to try them. I think I'll save making them for a time when a lot of relatives will be present, or at least a few people that I know can eat them by the handful. I'm one of those people. I can sit and eat tons of them. I tried to think of something different, yet familiar enough that people would like. I have some canned beans in the house, so I decided to make a salsa. Being that tomorrow is New Years, I decided to use black eye peas too. I usually don't measure many ingredients when making salsa, but I did measure these.

1 16 oz can black eye peas (drained and rinsed)
1 25.11 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 16 oz can garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 of a large green bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup chopped Spanish olives (stuffed with pimentos)
2 green onions (sliced thinly)
8 Jalapeno slices, finely chopped
1 4 oz can green chilies (drained)

I put the above ingredients in a large bowl. In a small bowl, I whisk the following ingredients:

Juice of one lime
Juice of one lemon
Juice of one clementine (you can use 1/4 cup fresh orange or pineapple juice too)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
2 cloves garlic minced

Combine the ingredients and mix with the beans. Chill until serving time. Let come to room temperature before serving. Serve with tortilla chips.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy new year! Let me know some of your New Year traditions. I've heard there is going to be a "running with the suitcase" at this party. It means more travel in your future (from Colombia).




No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar