Saturday, January 16, 2010

Avocado appetizer


I enjoy avocado as guacamole, by itself, or in a salad. I usually eat about 3 or 4 avocados a week. It's one of those things that I always have sitting in a bowl on the counter. My guacamole is different each time. Sometimes, it's really heavy with fresh cilantro and parsley, other times I add green and black olives to the mix. I've even made avocado soup! What a refreshing summer dish. The other night, I treated myself to an appetizer of avocado and French bread. It was surprisingly delicious and simple.

4 slices of a French baguette, sliced about 1/2 inch thick
1 small avocado cut into slices
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
drizzle of extra virgin olive oil... probably 1 tablespoon total

Cut the bread and put on serving dish. I did not toast it, but left it fresh cut.
Slice the avocado into slices or small pieces
put slices on the bread and drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice, and sprinkle with lemon pepper.

The olive oil and lemon juice saturate the bread as it sits for a few minutes and makes for a very simple appetizer. Best if eaten with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar