Saturday, January 2, 2010

Cold January Day

It's a cold January day in Georgia. It's 9:30 am and the temperature is 27F. I've not even had my morning coffee and I am already thinking about what to make for dinner! Am I the only person that wakes up thinking about stuffed cabbage leaves? I've not made them since last winter, but they certainly are a warming dish. I was thinking if I could make a kind of stuffed cabbage lasagna style, using the cabbage leaves instead of the pasta. This is something I will have to think on today. Let's see.... cabbage leaves, ground sirloin/veal/pork mixture mixed with onion, garlic and tomato sauce. I'm wondering if it needs a sour cream/creme fraiche layer mixed with fresh dill. Perhaps just layers of cabbage, and meat sauce for now. I can always top it with a sour cream dill sauce. I may just give it a go. Don't know if I want to spend the time rolling up the individual leaves today. Yes, my dinner is set. Now, I need to find a good bakery with some fresh pumpernickel bread to serve with it. Off to find my Hungarian cookbook to get a few more variations on herbs and spices to use. Caraway, Dill, ... those are a given for me. A nice cucumber salad will compliment it nicely.

Essen Sie! Ok, that's German, but my translator did not have Hungarian! Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar