Monday, May 24, 2010

Summer Cold



It all started on Saturday. That scratchy sore throat, no energy, just wanting to sleep. Ahhhh the dreaded summer cold. I'm the kind of person that doesn't get sick often and I can usually psyche myself "healthy"! I made a beverage of water with fresh ginger slices, orange slices, lime slices, and fresh mint. I let it sit in the refrigerator for hours. It was delicious cold, but I decided to heat a cup in the microwave. What a real sore throat soother...... just added a teaspoon of honey to sweeten it up a little.

There are certain foods that really soothe the cold for me. During the winter, I enjoy the Greek Avgolemeno soup. A soup with a chicken base with a lot of lemon and rice. It's not winter now, so what for comfort? Sure there are the beverages of citrus water (above), and of course hot tea. I remember countless mugs of hot tea, lemon, and honey when I was a child to soothe a cold. What else though?? My second thought was hot and sour or won ton soups from the local Chinese restaurant. I've even purchased frozen won tons to make my own soup from time to time. It's so easy with the addition of green onions, bamboo shoots, and water chestnuts. Not enough time to make really good soup after work today as I have no stock in my freezer, so I may head to the local Chinese restaurant for some warming soup.

What are your favorite foods to "cure" the common cold? Who knows, I may try one of them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar