Sunday, August 8, 2010

Varsity Jr. closing in Atlanta


For those of you who are not from Atlanta, the title of this blog may have no meaning for you. The Varsity Junior is a small version of the huge Varsity located near the Georgia Tech Campus. It's a famous hamburger restaurant that once was the world's largest. When I was a little girl, they had carhops that would go to your car and bring your order. It was always more fun to go inside though. There were several different dining rooms with a tv in each room. I was always amused at how many men would be in the room showing the daily soap opera.

The language of the Varsity was quite unique. "whatda ya have?" was asked at the counter... none of "may I take your order please?" No, that just isn't the way it is done at the Varsity. The main Varsity was so popular that about 45 years ago, they made a smaller one called the Varsity Jr. This is located on Lindberg @ Cheshire Bridge Road. Since then, there have been other Varsity Jr restaurants. There is one in Athens, Georgia.... home of my wonderful Georgia Bulldogs and the University of Georgia!

So, it was in the newspaper the other day that the Varsity Jr. at Lindberg would be closing on August 22nd. I will have to make a pilgrimage to the site to have my usual order (that hasn't ever changed since I was a child) of chili steak, fries, and a Coke. I may have to change up a bit and get two chili steaks! I certainly hope someone that likes onion rings will come with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar