Sunday, May 17, 2009

Breakfast for Dinner!


Although I don't usually eat a substantial breakfast during the week, I do enjoy the breakfast foods. As a native southerner, I must admit that grits are my least favorite breakfast hot cereal. I'll eat it if it is served at some one's house, but I don't choose it as a menu choice. I remember my dad would make cheese grits with real butter, eggs, and sharp cheese. How he turned the gritty grits into a smooth dish, I will never know. Those I would eat on occasion. Like I said, I can eat them, but would much rather have hot cream of wheat as a hot cereal. I will admit that I probably eat hot cereal once a year as I prefer other breakfast foods. I'm not very hungry in the morning, so fruit and yogurt is fine. If on vacation, fresh fruit and a croissant are my breakfast of choice! I will say that being born in Georgia, the Waffle House is one of the best places to get breakfast 24 hours a day. There is no doubt that the food is hot and fresh as it is always cooked to order. If I want something sweet, it's the choice of a pecan waffle and coffee. If my taste buds want something salty, I go for the egg over easy with hash browns "scattered, smothered, and covered". Yes, you can't beat the diner lingo! Plus, it's the only place I DON'T mind being called "hon"!! (one of my pet peeves).

When I was a child, my mother never made anything with flour, so breakfast was bagels and hard crusty breads (which I love), eggs, bacon, grits (dad's specialty), sliced fresh summer tomatoes, and feta cheese. Yes, we had a hardy breakfast "Greek-American" style! When I was dating my (now ex) husband, we would spend time with his family at their home. His mother made biscuits from scratch. I think the first time I had them, I stopped at 6! How could I not stop... I didn't want to embarrass myself further!! Homemade biscuits with homemade jam from homegrown fruit! Breakfast didn't get any sweeter! Also, family reunions in Tennessee were a lot of fun. One of my ex's uncles, still had an old wood burning stove along side his electric one in his home. You've never had biscuits until they have been cooked in a wood burning stove. I don't think my mother in law measured anything when making the biscuits, but I remember them and her sweet manner! We got along terrifically!!

One of my favorite treats as a child was having breakfast foods for dinner! What fun to have waffles or pancakes for dinner. When my children were little, we would sometimes have breakfast foods for a dinner treat. Pancakes, waffles, french toast, juice, etc.... The meal was always served with a lot of bacon. I think my children could eat an entire package of bacon hot from the frying pan! Bacon, bacon, and more bacon with the dinner!

I don't really measure when making French toast, but I always start with stale French or Italian bread. The hardy kind works the best.

French Toast

5 or 6 1 inch slices of hardy French or Italian bread
2 large eggs beaten with 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Mix eggs, sugar, cinnamon, milk, and vanilla in a shallow bowl
Turn the slices of bread in the mixture to coat. I usually dip them twice on both sides
Melt butter over medium heat in nonstick skillet
Place bread in frying pan and cook slowly until golden brown. (Be sure your pan isn't too hot)

Serve with toasted slivered almonds and pure maple syrup.

When my sons were little, I would sprinkle "snow" (confectioner's sugar) on top of their french toast.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar