Friday, May 1, 2009

Burger..... not just for "ham" any more!


Hamburgers, Lamb burgers, Veggie burgers, shrimp burgers, and turkey burgers are just a few of my favorite ways to have a burger.  I've made them all with success.  My favorite way to cook them is on the charcoal grill.  Of course, pan fry will do in a hurry.  I enjoy eating a good hamburger.  When I go to a new restaurant, I always order a hamburger if on the menu.  If they can't make a decent hamburger, I'm sure the other things are not up to par either.  I like the with various toppings from guacamole to a lot of cheese.  

In 1980, I lived in Paris for almost a year with a French woman.  She was an excellent cook and appreciated my love for eating!  From simple meals of sandwiches on a fresh baguette, to fancy roasts, rabbit, and duck,  I ate and ate and ate!!  A simple hamburger took on a new taste at her home.  It quickly became my favorite way to have a burger.

Hamburger Mme. Faisant

1/4 pound ground sirloin for each burger
Gruyere slices  (Or you can use a nice aged Swiss)
creme fraiche (can be purchased at most specialty markets)
Dijon mustard
salt and pepper

Mme. would pan fry the burgers in vegetable oil until done to taste.  I like mine medium. 

Top the burger with Dijon mustard, a hearty spoonful of creme fraiche, and top with Gruyere cheese.   Put the burger under the broiler until the cheese is nicely melted and slightly browned. Top with a generous amount of fresh ground pepper, sea salt, and fresh chopped parsley.  Serve with vine ripe tomatoes on the side.  A simple delicious meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar