Friday, May 8, 2009

My favorite sauce


My favorite sauce has to be the Greek "Tzatziki" sauce. I like it on sandwiches, chicken, lamb, gyros, and as a dip for bell peppers, broccoli, and other fresh vegetables. My personal favorite way to eat it is BY THE SPOONFUL! I actually think it would make a terrific cool summer soup. I could eat this every day in the summer. It is so refreshing and delicious. It's also good for you too. My grandfather lived to be in his 90's by eating a lot of fresh garlic. "It's natural, good for you" were words I heard often in my childhood.

I've made it so many times first thing in the morning. I've even had it at breakfast! Only a "true Mediterranean" can do that...




TZATZIKI

16 oz plain non-fat yogurt (I use the delicious GREEK yogurt)
2 large cucumbers, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon FRESH Lemon juice
(Don't bother making anything Greek if you plan on using lemon from a plastic shaped lemon bottle....)
salt to taste
1/4 cup fresh parsley minced
2 Tablespoons fresh dill

Line a colander with cheesecloth and put yogurt in to drain overnight. You won't have much liquid with the Greek Yogurt.

Put cucumbers in a bit of cheesecloth to press out any excess moisture. Add to yogurt.

Add other ingredients.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 or two hours.

Can be garnished with fresh chives or spring onions.

If mixture is too thick, add more olive oil to achieve desired constancy.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar