Thursday, July 29, 2010

Summer eats


It's summer and I'm not one to eat a hardy breakfast, or anything for that matter, when the temperatures are high. We've had over 90 F for almost every day in July. It zaps my energy! My diet is just so light and different.

Sometimes I just skip eating which I know isn't good for you. Yesterday, I just wasn't hungry at all. I had juice and watermelon for breakfast and after running errands all day, had hot tea at a local coffee shop. Juice and grapes for dinner! Crazy meals I know, but why force yourself to eat just because the clock says that it's lunch or dinner time. Sure, I could have eaten, just for "eating" sake, but why?

And for every day like yesterday, which are quite rare anyway, there are those days that I eat a lot. Now, eating a lot in the summer and eating a lot in the winter are two different things. Summer breakfast is usually Greek yogurt with fruit and almonds, and drizzled with honey, or a muffin, bagel, or just a bowl of fruit salad. Lunch may be a sandwich or salad, and dinner is usually something cooked on the grill. Oh how I love the taste of charcoal cooked foods! They say it's not good for you, but I just add it to the list of things that aren't good for me like granulated sugar, not wearing sunscreen all of the time, and driving a little too fast sometimes (although lately I've seen more police cars just waiting to catch speeders, so I'm diligent to stay only a few miles over the speed limit) . I certainly don't want to get lost in that train of thought so I'll jump back to the summer foods.

I've not yet made my mom's and brother's stuffed tomatoes as that involves heating up the kitchen during baking time. Can you tell that I really don' t like the heat? If the temps didn't get over 80 F, I think I would be extremely happy during the summer. Of course if I lived on an island or coast, that would be an entirely different story. Anyone want me to house sit on a Greek Island next summer? Now that would be a fun job wouldn't it?

Anyway, summer is not over yet, and I still have plenty of time to purchase those huge vine ripe tomatoes from the local market and make stuffed tomatoes. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking that frozen fresh corn would be a good idea too. I'm just not one to have a lot of things in the freezer except the frozen pizza and chicken nuggets for my son and ice cream. By the way, the best sorbet is zesty lemon!

So for at least another month, I get to enjoy my summer foods. I know as the weather gets cooler, I'll be thinking of the winter stews, soups, and gratins that I like so much. Off to have my hot tea and fruit


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar