Thursday, July 8, 2010

tri color slaw

I'm always trying to think of different recipes to make for the summer months. It's so hot outside (today will be near 100F). Last night, I did not eat dinner until 9:30, which isn't that unusual for me. Tuesday, I had made some boneless ribs and cole slaw for dinner. Back during the school year, I had won a huge cooler filled with all kinds of bar-b-que items: sauces, skewers, napkins, utensils, graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate for somemores, etc... It was a silent auction for our school and I couldn't believe I won!!

So, before I tell you the slaw ingredients, I will tell you how I made the pork spare ribs. I rarely use ready made spices or bottled sauces just because of the fact that I enjoy making my own!! It's so much easier and fresher tasting to me, plus I enjoy it so much. I decided that I may as well use the bottled sauce since I had it.

Boneless Pork Ribs

6 large boneless pork ribs
bottled "bar b que" seasoning
bottle of bar b que sauce... your choice of flavoring

Preheat oven to 375 (I had intended on putting them on the grill for the last thirty minutes of cooking, but plans came up and I didn't want to wait for the coals to heat)... anyway, line a 9 x 13 baking dish with heavy duty foil (you will appreciate this step at clean up... I promise), put ribs in pan and rub generously with the bbq seasoning. Let them bake, uncovered, for 1 hour. Pour enough bbq sauce over the ribs to coat nicely and return to the oven for another hour. Do not cover them. You can turn on the broil for a few minutes at the end of cooking time. They turned out really tender as my youngest son can attest. I had about 1/3 of a rib just to taste it and he ate the rest!!!

Now for the slaw:

Yes, I "cheated" on this a little too..... How could I resist the sale on the ready made shredded cabbage and carrot slaw! Yes, I find shredding cabbage a pain. I do it, but I like it really fine and it takes forrrrreverrrrrr to slice it. I rarely measure ingredients as I cook, and it has been a challenge to remember to measure ingredients when I know I will post for my blog. This was one of those days when I made the slaw, ate it, I had an "OHHHH NOOOO" moment when I realized I should have written the ingredients. I bet you can "wing it" though and it will turn out fine.

1 package of ready made slaw (green and red cabbage and carrot mix)
1/2 bunch cilantro chopped
olive oil (I mix extra virgin and plain for this)
Juice of 1 1/2 limes (I like a lot of lime)
probably about 1 tsp cumin and 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
5 or 6 pickled jalapeno slices diced
black olives (not Greek) chopped (about 10 or so)

So pretty much it's just the olive oil that I can't remember! Try using 1/3 of a cup at first, then add more if necessary.

It's refreshing and has just a little kick from the red pepper flakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar