Saturday, April 18, 2009

Mud pies and beyond


When I was little, we used to get little chicken pot pies every once in awhile for a treat.  I used to save the little pans.  I could make the best mud pies in them.  Mud pies with berries from the holly bushes were my first outdoor kitchen!  

Soon after, I received my first Easy Bake Oven.  The old green ones.  Yes, you can make a delicious cake using a 40 watt bulb!  I would cook up a storm with those little packets.  I still remember the day the cake rose too high and it wouldn't come out of the oven.  I guess that was my first of many baking disasters!  Dime size cookies and vanilla and chocolate cakes were to "die for"!!  My mom didn't really eat sweets and I knew that for a fact.  I also knew that my dad had a sweet tooth. I would bake my dad special cakes and cookies.  He was ALWAYS so kind to share his cake with me! He always remarked how delicious and wonderful they were.

After the Easy Bake Oven, I quickly advanced to the real oven.  Chef boy r dee pizzas were my next venture.  Not the usual cheese pizza mind you, but olives, onions, ground beef, etc... My brothers would gladly sample my cooking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar