Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Why I don't like hot peppers!


I don't remember my age, but I know I was very young. In the neighborhood where I lived, many people grew a small garden, really just enough for a few tomato plants, cucumbers, etc... One neighbor grew peppers.... HOT, RED PEPPERS!! My family wasn't much into eating hot and spicy foods with the exception of Chinese food from time to time... and that wasn't that hot. To make a long story short, kids can be cruel sometimes. Some kids gave me a red pepper to try... right from the garden. Being that I ate everything anyway, I tried it. Oh my gosh, it was the hottest thing I had ever eaten. Home I ran, screaming in pain. Water, as we now know, just intensifies the heat. That didn't work. I remember eating bread to stop the heat. It eventually wore off after what seemed like an eternity, but the memory lingers on...

I'll eat a pickled jalapeno, but not many others. I do enjoy Mexican food, and spicy dishes though. This is a recipe that I made for salsa. A friend of my brothers had made a salsa that was out of this world, so I added my own touch. This one can be eaten as a salsa or a salad!!

1 can yellow corn.... drained
1 can black beans.... drained and rinsed
2 bell peppers.... yellow and red
2 tomatoes... or any kind
8 or so slices pickled jalapeno peppers (you can add more)
celery if you have it (few stalks)
I also like cucumber too (1 pickling cucumber)

(Secret Ingredient-Brad knows, but he won't tell :) Salsa still delicious without it.)

Juice of one lime
juice of one lemon
cayenne pepper (1 tsp) oregano (1 tsp)
chili powder (1 tablespoon), cumin (1 teaspoon full) (YOU CAN ALWAYS ADD MORE)
1/2 bunch cilantro (wash, remove the leaves and chop )
It sounds like a lot of ingredients, but you can just "wing it" .
You can add hot sauce if you want.

My son, Brad likes the salsa. He likes his food really spicy and hot.. I'm sure he adds much more cayenne pepper and perhaps a habanero or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar