Saturday, April 18, 2009

My Brothers

This is the last photo taken of my immediate family.  It was doing what we love.... cooking lamb at Easter.  In the photo from the left: Jimmy, my dad: Pete, Johnny, and myself.

I have to older brothers: Johnny and Jimmy.  As adults, many people call them John and Jim, but they will always be Johnny and Jimmy to me.

Johnny

When growing up, Johnny would take me everywhere with him.  I was his little shadow.  He loved his little sister very much.  He was ten years older than I.  I was about 10 when he married.  He also served in the Air Force and spent a year in Viet Nam.  I still have the letter he wrote me.  He played sports as a youth and adult.  His real sport love was football.  After being a teacher and coach of many sports for 30 or so years, his dream came true.  He was part of the defensive football coaching team at Grayson High School.  During his many years of coaching, he could be seen painting the gym floor, putting stripes on the field, or whatever else needed to be done.  He was always willing to help anyone that needed help.  I knew that if I asked him if they won the game, he would start by saying: "the ball was on the 14 yardline, it was third down, and so and so was going to throw......"  

Johnny also shared our family passion for cooking.  He could eat the hottest of peppers. I guess those years of living in Texas!!  He was proud of his garden; growing okra, squash, cucumbers, peppers, etc....   He was a great cook too.  I cannot eat Greek rice dressing without thinking of him.  

His time with us was cut too short on April 29, 2008.  It was a day I will never forget.  His passing was sudden and I wish I could have said many things to him.  He knew I loved and adored him!  


Jimmy

My brother, Jimmy, is 6 years older than I.  As a child, I spent just about every weekend watching Jimmy play football.  I was there as a toddler and watched him play through high school, college, Canadian league, and World league.  I used to go to the high school with my parents and other adults to help make the steak dinners for the team.   I can honestly say that I enjoy a good game of football.  Jimmy worked over 10 years with the Harleem Globetrotters. He's seen parts of the world that some of can only imagine.  I saw him at work a few times when he was working as a referee for the team.  Great fun.  He is now in the car business.  

Jimmy is a fantastic cook.  If it can be made on the grill, he can do it!  Watch out Bobby Flay for a "throwdown" with Jimmy! :)

My brothers mean the world to me.  I love them with all of my heart.  I could type for pages and pages about stories about them and our relationship.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Ingredients I must have in my kitchen (It's a long list, but I try and have these items on hand)

  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Cheese
  • Cumin
  • Curry
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fresh Bread
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Parsley
  • Greek Oregano
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Lemon ( At least 3 or 4 ALWAYS)
  • Peppers (Wax, Jalapeno, banana)
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Regular Olive Oil
  • Rice
  • Salad Ingredients
  • Sea Salt
  • Spanish Olives
  • White Balsamic Vinegar